Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

veggie-hater's oven-roasted miso-glazed veggies

One of my friends mentioned that she hates the way veggies taste and has to force herself to eat them for healthy living's sake. I can sympathize. I've never been one of those "OMG veggies!" people, unless said veggies are covered in cheese and/or butter.

I've been ordering monthly deliveries of a box of organic local produce, so that gives me a reason to experiment in the kitchen. I cobbled together this recipe a few weeks ago from the random stuff in my cupboard, and it turned out insanely delicious. Like, I couldn't stop shoveling broccoli into my mouth, it was that tasty. So here's the recipe, for all you picky vegetable haters. Note: I tend to not measure things when I'm cooking, and I'm not going to make up some arbitrary measurements just to appease people with OCD. Deal with it.



Ingredients
whatever vegetables you hate the least (I used broccoli and zucchini.)
onion and garlic
firm tofu (The "fresh" kind in water-packed tubs. Don't use silken, soft, or extra-firm.)

glaze:
soy sauce
white miso (A must. There really isn't anything in the world that makes a sweet/savory impact quite like miso.)
rice vinegar (ideally the seasoned kind)
brown sugar
olive oil

optional:
Bragg's liquid aminos (but I put this on everything...)
sweet-hot mustard

Preheat the oven to...I dunno, 400F or something. It doesn't really matter, just as long as it's hot. Grease a cookie sheet/baking pan with olive oil (tip: it will make clean-up MUCH easier if you line the pan with foil first. It's a very sticky sauce.)

Chop the onion into wedges and the garlic you can chop, smash, or leave in whole cloves. Cut the veggies into 1-1.5 inch pieces. If you're using broccoli, cut the stems off (or leave them, if you're a crazy person who likes broccoli stems.)

Drain, rinse, and press the tofu (pressing it is optional but usually a good idea.) Cut into 1/4-1/2 inch slices, then cut those slices in half. You should have little rectangles about 2x1.5 inches.

Dump everything onto the prepared baking pan. Try to cover the whole thing, but don't overlap.

Mix the marinade like this: a lot of soy sauce, a little rice vinegar, some olive oil, a bit of brown sugar, some miso, a few sprays of Bragg's and a little mustard. You want to end up with about 1.5-2 cups of this.

Drizzle about half the sauce/glaze/marinade over the veggies. Try to spread it evenly and don't let it pool in the corners. You can stir the veggies around gently to coat them. Add some pepper if you like, but you shouldn't have to add any additional salt, since soy sauce and miso are very salty themselves. Pop the pan in the oven for about 10 minutes.

After about 10 minutes, take the pan out and move everything around, flipping over the tofu slices. Add the rest of the marinade. Return to the oven for 10-15 more minutes.

That's it! It's really good over rice or pasta, and like I said, surprisingly tasty and addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment